Suppose you work at a skilled nursing facility, nursing home, or hospital. In that case, you may be thinking about how to say thank you to your certified nursing assistants (CNAs) during National Nursing Assistants Week (June 17-24, 2021) or on National Career Nursing Assistants Day (June 17, 2021).
More than 4.5 million caregivers care for our nation’s frail, elderly, or chronically challenged citizens who stay in nursing homes and other long-term care settings. They add value to the lives of residents in their care.
How did the CNA profession get started, and how can you celebrate?
The CNA profession officially began around World War I due to the high demand to treat wounded soldiers. The American Red Cross started the volunteer nurse aide services.
Today’s CNA puts in much time and hard work to ensure patients and residents are comfortable and enjoy quality health care.
So how can you not only raise standards for your staff but show how much you value CNA’s work and attitudes and demonstrate to them that they are heroes who make a difference by going the extra mile with a smile?
- Make CNA appreciation week a facility-wide event. You can find pre-made social media posts and graphics online to send to the local newspaper. Posters, balloons, or staffers using buttons or t-shirts all show your commitment to CNAs and make for excellent conversation starters.
- Start with a kick-off and end with a bang. Start CNA-appreciation week with breakroom events, contests, and treats, and end the week by giving away a raffle prize.
- Individually recognize each member of your team. Be sure to acknowledge each of your CNA staffers in a group setting by conducting a short meeting with them one-on-one.
- Involve the local community in your celebration. Bring local community leaders into your facility to help recognize your incredible staff. You can also encourage your board of directors to make an appearance. Or have the local newspaper cover the weeklong celebration. Promoting your team showcases your organization’s value to the local community and showcases the hard work CNAs do.
- Hold a CNA-only raffle with prizes. Start by deciding on your budget, then buy the prize—whether it’s a recumbent bike or six-month yoga membership–to raffle off.
- Consider small gifts like an appreciation lapel pin or retractable ID badge reels. CNAs can hold your gift lapel pin their entire lives. Or consider purchasing a few ID badge reels for your staff– friendly reminders that recall your appreciation every time they wear their ID.
As valued members of the healthcare profession, CNAs deserve to be celebrated, especially after the extreme working environment many experienced because of COVID. ShiftMed wishes all CNAs a very Happy CNA Week. If you’d like to come work at ShiftMed, we offer excellent pay and benefits, along with Guaranteed Shifts and Next Day Pay. Apply today!
Interested in becoming a CNA learn more from the National Association of Health Care Assistants.